During your stay


Mineurs scolarisés / Underge students

The “mineur scolarisé/underage student visa can’t be validated.

Underage students – Booking an appointment at the Préfecture
Underage students – List of supporting documents

  • You won’t turn 18 in France during the validity of your visa: at the end your visa, you will have to go back to your home country to ask for a new visa.


Algerian students

Your visa « Étudiant – Carte de séjour à solliciter » ou « Étudiant – ES VLS » can’t be validated.

Within 2 months after your arrival, you mandatory have to apply for the algerian residence permit on https://administration-etrangers-en-france.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers/#/ > “I would like to apply or renew my residence permit” > “Moi-même (à partir de 16 ans”) > “Et je suis titulaire uniquement d’un visa long séjour”.


Algerian students – 1st application for residence card – List of supporting documents

In most cases, as a student, you will hold a Long Stay Visa as a Residence Permit (VLS-TS) with the mention “student”, which will allow you to stay in France from four months to one year.

With this visa, you will be able to:

  • work part-time up to 964 hours per year (about 20h/week)
  • cross the Schengen area borders


For VLS-TS holders, you mandatory have to validate your visa online within three months of your arrival in France.



For this procedure, you will need:

  • your passport
  • your visa
  • a credit card

Log onto the website: https://administration-etrangers-en-france.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers/#/
(available in English)

Create an account with your personal mail address and a password.

Click on “Validate your VLS-TS long stay visa” and fill the information about your your visa, your date of arrival in France and your address of residence in France.

You will have to buy a 50€ tax stamp. If you have a credit card, you can make the purchase directly online on the same website. If you do not have one, you can buy it in a tobacconist’s shop.

The “Référence réglementaire” (regulatory reference) to choose is: CESEDA R311-3 6° (for students)

Once your information has been validated, you will receive an email with the validation of your visa.

Note your “Identifiant” number (also known as your “Numéro étranger“), which is made up of 10 digits and begins with 99.
You will need this number for other procedures and when you will renew your visa.

CAUTION: If you have not done this procedure within three months after your arrival, you will no longer be legally in France and if you are traveling outside of France, you will have to apply for a new visa to return.


If your VLS-TS as a “Student” is about to expire and you wish to continue your studies at UCLy/in France, you have the possibility to renew it by completing the procedure 3 to 2 months before it expires. This renewal procedure is entirely online.

From September 2023, if you have not submitted your renewal application within 3 to 2 months before your visa expires, you will have to pay a late fee.

Gather your documents and get your e-photo.
Caution: you have sometimes to wait 24h to 48h to use your e-photo code.


List of supporting documents – Non-european student


(Example) Accommodation certificate_FR-ENG

(Example) Financial responsibility_FR-ENG

Go to: https://administration-etrangers-en-france.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers/#/

Connect with the login* (10 figures) and password you used when you validated your visa.

* Your identifiant is the “Identifiant” indicated on the “Confirmation of validation of long-stay visa valid as residence permit”, which you received when you validated your visa. It consists of 10 digits and starts with 99.

Click on “I would like to apply or renew my residence permit” > “I renew a residence permit for” > “Myself (aged 16 and over)” > “And I hold a residence permit / VLS-TS” > “You hold a VLS-TS as a “Student”. This permit is marked “ETUDIANT-ELEVE” > “I am applying to renew this permit”.

Step 1: Check your personal details

Enter a 10-digit French mobile phone number starting with 06 or 07.

Step 2: Reason for your stay

Fill in the information for the current academic year and the coming academic year.

ILCF student: in the “Cycle of study” and “Level of study at end of year” sections, select “Other”.

If you haven’t your final transcript of records yet: select “En attente des résultats” in the “Année” section :

ILCF student: if you will attend French classes the coming academical year, in the section “I am entering the reason for repeating my year”, indicate the evolution of your French level per semester.

If you are going on a mobility programme in another European Union country:
Click on “Yes” under “I am a student and my studies include a mobility in the European Union”. You will have to provide a mobility certificate from your faculty/school/institute at the UCLy.

Step 3: Financial resources

You can choose several sources of income by clicking on “+add an income” (“Employed” and “Supported”, for example).

Remember: the total amount of your resources must be greater than or equal to €615 per month.

Step 4: Supporting documents

Upload the supporting documents.

If your are waiting for the results on Parcoursup or MonMaster: you can provide a screenshot of your application on the concerned plateform. The screenshot must contain your name.

If you provide a certificate of PRE-enrolment: know that the Préfecture will ask you for a school certificate when examining your application.
The certificate of pre-enrolement is given after paying a deposit. The school certificate is given after paying all the tuition fees.

If you are going on a mobility programm in another European Union country: upload the mobility certificate establihed by your faculty/institute/school at UCLy in the “Certificate of enrolment or proof of pre-registration” section.

The “Diploma obtained in France” and “Certificate of archivement” sections do not need to be completed if your faculty/institute/school at UCLy does not issue these documents.

ILCF students: you can upload the DUEF (Diplôme Universitaire d’Etudes Françaises) in the section “Diploma obtained in France”.

Step 5: Summary

Read carefully the provided information.
In the “Comments for the administration” section, you can add details about your application. For example, “awaiting admission to Master’s programme / awaiting 2nd semester grades”.
Caution: Once you click on “Validate and submit my application”, you will no longer be able to add documents and/or modify your application.

Step 6: Confirmation

You will automatically receive an acknowledgement of receipt of your application by e-mail, along with a PDF “Confirmation of submission”.
This document is proof that your application has been submitted. It is not a récépissé or a residence permit.


What happens next?

The Rhône Prefecture gives priority to renewal applications for permits that are due to expire soon.

If there is a delay in processing the renewals at the Préfecture:
You will receive an “Attestation de prolongation d’instruction” no later than the day your visa/residence permit expires.
This official document extends your right to stay (including your right to work part-time if you have a “student” visa or residence permit) and allow you to cross the Schengen Area borders. Lasting 3 months and being renewable, this document is only valid with the detaining visa/residence permit.

If your application was incomplete at the time of submission (transcript/certificate of attendance not available):
The Préfecture will send you a request for additional documents. You will have 30 days to provide the document requested. If you do not provide it within 30 days, your application will be closed.

In case of agreement:
You will receive an “Attestation de décision favorable”.
This official document indicate that a card will be made (with validity date), allows you to work part-time and to cross the Schengen Area borders. This document is only valid with the detaining visa/residence permit.

4 to 6 weeks after receiving the Attestation de décision favorable, you will receive a text message on your French number indicating you that your residence permit is available at the Préfecture du Rhône. You will then need to buy a €75 tax stamp (online on https://timbres.impots.gouv.fr/ or in a tobacconist) and make an appointment to obtain your residence permit. Remember to bring the tax stamp with you on the day of appointment. No payment possible on site.


Watch the Campus France tutorials
with English and Spanish subtitles:


Expired visas/residence permits

If your visa/residence permit has expired less than 6 months ago, you can still apply for your renewal online. However, you will have to pay a 180€ tax stamp penalty when you will get your card.

If you visa/residence permit has expired more than 6 months ago, you won’t be allowed to apply online. You will have to request an appointment with the Prefecture on https://www.demarches-simplifiees.fr/commencer/premiere-demande-titre-de-sejourprefecture-rhone so the Prefecture consider your demand. You will have to buy a 50€ tax stamp penalty to apply (online or in a tobacconist’s shop). No payment in situ.


Students from EU/EEA/Switzerland

Residence permit are not mandatory. However, you may be aks for one for some procedures. You have to request an appointment at the Prefecture on https://www.demarches-simplifiees.fr/commencer/premiere-demande-titre-de-sejourprefecture-rhone

List of supporting documents – EU/EEA/Switzerland student

You are not concerned by this procedure if you have a validated French long stay visa (see “Upon arrival – The validation of the visa” section).

You are concern by this procedure if:

  • You are citizen of a non-European country
  • You have a residence permit issued by a UE-country
  • You are coming to UCLy as part of a European programme for mobility (UE-programme or multilateral programme or convention programme between UCLy and a European university)


Your mobility at UCLy lasts less than 90 days: you don’t have any procedure to do to obtain a visa/residence permit in France.


Your mobility lasts at Ucly more than 90 days:

If your European residence permit covers your mobility at UCLy, you will have to:

  • Your institute/faculty/department at UCLy have to fill the 1st part of this application
  • You will have to bring the application along with the following document:
    • Copy of your passport
    • Copy of your European residence card
    • Proof of sufficient resources during your mobility (615€/month)
    • Proof of health insurance
    • Proof that your mobility at UCLy is part of a UE-programme or multilateral programme or convention programme between UCLy and a European university
    • Proof of your nomination at UCLy


Applications have to be submitted to the ISD
Saint Paul campus – Ground floor – Office C 025
Tuesday and Friday: 9am-12pm | 1:30pm-4:30pm
Wednesday: 9am-12pm


If your european residence permit doesn’t cover your mobility at UCLy:

  • You will have to ask for a “student” visa at your local French Consulate before your arrival in France


Caution: Applications for a residence permit at the French Prefecture will be refused.