Founded in 1875, UCLy (Lyon Catholic University) combines academic knowledge, respect for human-centred values and openness to the rest of society.
UCLy is situated on three campuses, two within the heart of the city of Lyon (Carnot / Saint Paul) and the other, in Annecy, which opened at the start of the 2020 academic year. UCLy aims to be international, while remaining close to the regional economic fabric, and strives to be a force of intelligence and proposals.
UCLy benefits from all the richness and plurality of its twenty-eight education and research units. Curiosity and a benevolent perspective on their surroundings is developed in our students through the diversity of subjects offered to them. UCLy programmes lead to university diplomas, mainly within the framework of agreements with public universities, and in a limited number of cases, in the electoral jury.
Looking outwards and closely following societal developments, UCLy never stops evolving, creating new courses and new research programmes combining scientific skills with a human-centred philosophy
UCLy is a non-profit-making organisation granted the status of a public interest private higher education institution (EESPIG) by the French government, and as such, it contributes to providing the public service of higher education. Our university brings together and opens up discussion between a variety of disciplines: Biology, Philosophy, Theology, Law, Psychology, the Humanities, Languages and Management Science...
UCly is a founding member of the IPL (Polytechnical Institute of Lyon) and associate member of the COMUE of Lyon.
UCLy in Figures:
• 6 Faculties:
- Legal, Political and Social Sciences
- Economic Sciences and Management
- Sciences and Biotechnology
- Modern Languages and Literature
- Theology and Religious Sciences
- Philosophy, Psychology and Education
• 1 Business School ESDES (commonly called "Grande École" in the French system)
• 1 Engineering School in biotechnology ESTBB
• 3 Professional schools (ESTRI, ESQESE, IFTLM)
• 1 research center "Sciences and Humanities Confluence" with 8 research teams
• More than 11,000 students and auditors, including 1,350 internationals
• Over 650 teachers and administrative staff
• More than 180 courses (Level: undergraduate to postgraduate)
• 300 partner universities on 5 continents
The Rectoral Team
Dr Marc OLLIVIER
Vice-Rector in charge of Academical development, Humanities education, Student life and culture
Professor Valérie AUBOURG
Vice-Rector in charge of Research
Dr Marie BUI-LETURCQ
Vice-Rector in charge of Education and Academic life
Dr Olivier MAILLARD
Faculty of Economic Sciences and Management
Dr Jacques DESCREUX
Faculty of Theology and Religious Sciences
Dr Pascal MARIN
Faculty of Philosophy, Psychology and Education
Professor Michel CANNARSA
Faculty of Legal, Political and Social Sciences
Dr Dominique VINAY
Faculty of Modern Languages and Literature
Professor Emmanuelle GORMALLY
Faculty of Sciences and Biotechnology
UCLy is an association (law of 1901) administered by AFPICL, the Association of Founders and Protectors of the Catholic Institute of Lyon.
The Archbishop of Lyon, Primate of the Gauls, is by right the chancellor of this University.