Financing Your Stay in France

What’s Your Budget?

French law requires foreign students to have sufficient means of subsistence in France to pursue their studies without working:

  • 620€ per month for 10 months in Bachelor or Master 1 degree courses
  • 770€ per month for  10 months in Master 2 courses and above

In practice, it takes an average of 700 euros per month to live in Lyon (housing, transport, health expenses, food, etc.), in addition to travel and installation expenses.

To ensure that you live properly in France and can study in the best conditions, think about drawing up a provisional budget of expenses!

Working in France

You can also find a job to finance your stay.

The CROUS provides student job offers on its website.

Grants: How to Benefit From a financial aid?

To help you finance your studies, you can apply for grants in your home country or in France. Don't hesitate to visit Campus Bourses, Campus France's scholarship directory which provides information on the scholarships offered to foreign students. The tool lists all of the assistance provided by the States (French and foreign), regional authorities, companies, foundations and institutes of higher education.

Scholarships from French Embassies Abroad

Every year, the French Ministry for Europe and Foreign Affairs (MEAE) awards scholarships to certain foreign students for studies, training courses and language courses in France. The majority of scholarships are awarded by the Cooperation and Cultural Action Departments (SCACs) in French embassies and consulates general abroad.

• Scholarship - as part of registration in a French institution of higher education with the aim of obtaining a diploma
• Internship grant -awarded for an average duration of three to twelve months
• High-level scientific residence grant (research programme, cultural and scientific exchange, etc.) - awarded for a period of one to three months

To find out the eligibility criteria and to submit an application, please contact the Service de Coopération et d'Action Culturelle of the French Embassy or Consulate General in your country.

Scholarships offered by your home country

Many countries provide scholarships to students wishing to study abroad, either through public or private programs. Find out more with yout current higher institution of enrolment, your closest "Espace Campus France", your local, regional authorities...

The Eiffel Excellence Scholarship

Managed by Campus France, the Eiffel excellence programme enables the best foreign students to finance a Master's degree or a ten-month mobility within the framework of a co-supervision or co-direction of a thesis. It is up to the higher education establishment in France and not the student to compile and submit the application form. Once the scholarship holders have been selected by committee, the list of winners is published on the Campus France website.

More info

The Excellence-Major Scholarship

The Excellence-Major program, established by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the AEFE (Agence Française pour l'Enseignement Français à l'Etranger), is aimed at the best (non-French) students from French high schools abroad who wish to continue their studies in France. Applications are sent by the French school abroad and then examined by a committee. Selected candidates receive a scholarship for a maximum of five years.

The amount varies according to the student's situation:

  • A 500 € scholarship (annual flat-rate contribution)
  • Rate 1:  €222 per month
  • Rate 2 : €685 per month

More information

Scholarships in Theology

French-speaking theology students who are not nationals of the European Union or North America and who wish to do a Master's or Doctorate in France can benefit from a theology study grant. Paid over a maximum period of 48 months, the monthly amount of the scholarship is 615 € for a Master 1 student and 767 € for a Master 2 or PhD student.

More information

Scholarships Based on Social Criteria

The French Ministry of Higher Education and Research grants scholarships to foreign students under the age of 28:

• Nationals of a European Economic Area (EEA) country, under certain conditions

• Those refugee or stateless person status, recognised by the French Office for the Protection of Refugees and Stateless Persons (OFPRA)

• Those who have been resident in France for at least two years and whose tax home has been located in France for at least two years

To apply for a scholarship, it is necessary to register your Student Social Record (SSD) online. Depending on your situation and your resources, the amount of your aid will vary according to the level (0 to 7) that you will be allocated (up to €5,554 per year).


International Relations Department

04 72 32 50 79