A few years later, in 1875, Louis-Gabriel Bissuel de Saint-Victor, a former member of parliament, founded a Catholic university with about thirty lay people from the town, whose first faculty devoted to law opened near Place Bellecour, a stone's throw from the barracks.This is the origin of the current Catholic University of Lyon whose second campus has been built on the site of the barracks since September 2005. The architect and the deputy belonged to the same family. Thus, from the beginning, the two establishments were already singularly linked by the name and the goodwill of their founders.
In a modern building of 14,000 m2 on five floors, the Carnot campus houses:
• The Department of Philosophy and Human Sciences (Faculty of Philosophy, Department of Psychology, UNIVA and CEPEC)
• The Department of Letters and Languages (Faculty of Modern Letters, ESTRI and ILCF)
• An information resource centre and several research laboratories
• The Department of Theology and Religious Sciences (Faculty of Theology and IPER)
• A university library
• 7 amphitheatres (up to 340 seats)
• 41 classrooms, 2 language labs, 1 exam room with 100 seats, a cafeteria and student facilities .