Housing benefit (CAF)

As a student, you can receive financial aid from the Caisse d'Allocations Familiales (CAF) to help you pay your rent.

What are the conditions to benefit from it?

  • Living in France for more than 3 months
  • Holding a valid residence permit (note: holders of a visa with the mention "temporary exemption from residence permit" cannot receive this aid)
  • Having a lease contract
  • Having opened a bank account in France

When to apply?

You should apply as soon as possible after signing your lease agreement.
Indeed, the CAF will take into account the date of your online application and not the date of entry into your accommodation for the opening of your rights. You should also know that the aid is not paid for the first month.

How to apply online?

Go to www.caf.fr > Services en ligne > Demander une prestation

Good to know: Guides are available in English, French and Spanish to help you apply online.
Consult the guides > Publications section (on the right) > Select the appropriate guide according to your type of accommodation.