LL.M. in International Business Law (Master 1 in partnership with the State University Lumière Lyon 2)
- Prerequisites for enrolment
- Bac + 3
- Length of studies
- 1 year
- Accessible as
This program is open to law graduates who wish to develop a career in international business law.
The program is intensive and fast paced bringing the students on a high growth learning experience across the 10 months of the program.
This program will introduce students to core topics in international business law and develop their understanding of policy and doctrine through a combination of exams and group and individual assignments.
Our students have the choice between three different tracks:
• Lyon Track is a programme entirely taught in English in Lyon, France.
• London Track offers students the opportunity to attend a Dual Law Programme taught in English at City Law School, City University London and UCLy Law School.
• Maynooth Track offers them the possibility to attend a Dual Law Programme taught in English at UCLy and NUI Maynooth Law School.
The MIBL degree offers the possibility of a dual degree delivered by the Lyon Catholic University on the one hand and the City University London Law School or the Department of Law at NUI Maynooth on the other hand. It will enable law graduates to further their legal education by gaining a systematic understanding of the critical issues at the forefront of select areas of international business law.
It also aims to develop legal research, reasoning, writing, advocacy and teamwork skills. These skills are highly sought after by employers.
Since June 2012, in the frame of our agreement with the Widener Law School in Delaware (USA), three of our students can spend their second semester in the USA on their campus as exchange students. This is an opportunity to discover a new legal system with an eye to local corporate law and live a very different educational experience during the studies.
Prerequisites for enrolment : Bac + 3
Applicants are required to have an undergraduate degree in law (a French licence, an LL.B. or equivalent). Acceptance of applicants with other types of diplomas will be determined by an admission committee which may also take into account relevant professional experience. In some exceptional cases, a bachelor's degree in a related discipline (eg : political science...), may be accepted, provided that the candidate followed a substantial number of law courses.
- The programme requires that applicants possess a good level of English language proficiency. Therefore we only accept applicants with a minimum IELTS Score of 6.5, a minimum TOEFL IBT score of 90 or CAE score of 58. Nevertheless, we might consider any experience establishing the command of the English Language.
- Students applying for the London track should meet the City Law School language requirements: IELTS Score of 7 (with at least 6 in every item).
- This requirement does not apply if you have completed your undergraduate studies in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, USA or UK or if you are a native speaker.
- There are no particular requirements regarding French language.
Among others, the following information will be required during the application process : - Copies of official transcripts/diplomas
- A photocopy of your passport
- A cover letter
- Two letters of academic reference
- You may add any other document you light find relevant
Application fee :Please note that there is a non refundable application fee of 50 EUR. We can only process your application after proof of payment of the application fee has been received.
Decision on Admission :Your application is reviewed by the Admissions Commitee. A formal decision will be sent to you by the Faculty or Department. If you are admitted you will receive an enrolment letter from the Law Faculty containing information on the steps you need to take to your student housing, take care of immigration formalities (if applicable) and arrange student registration.
Application deadline : 30th June 2017
Please fill out the downloadable Paper Application Form and send it back along with the following documents to the address indicated below.
- A cover letter.
- A curriculum vitae.
- A copy of your diplomas and transcripts.
- A copy of your passport.
- A copy of the English language certificate where applicable.
- Two letters of reference.
- You may add any document you might find relevant.
The documents should be sent by mail preferably to the following addres: firstname.lastname@example.org. Should your documents be too heavy to send in one mail, do not hesitate to use free online transfer plateforms and insert the download link into the mail.
If you were unable to proceed as above mentioned, the documents must be sent by regular mail to our postal address:
Louis-Daniel MUKA TSHIBENDE
Faculté de Droit
Master of International Business Law
10 place des Archives
69 288 LYON CEDEX 02
TUITION FEE:• For the Lyon Track - full year in Lyon :
Home/European Economic Area Students : 7 000 EUR
Non-European Economic Area Students : 9 000 EUR
• For the London Track : Dual degree program between Lyon and the City Law School, City University London - 2 trimesters in London 1 trimester in Lyon :
Home/European Economic Area Students : approximately 13 500 EUR
Non-European Economic Area Students : approximately 18 000 EUR
• For the Maynooth Track :double degree program between Lyon and the National University of Ireland Maynooth - semester 1 in Lyon; semester 2 in Maynooth:
Home/European Economic Area Students : 8 000 EUR
Non-European Economic Area Students : 12 500 EUR
The Catholic University of Lyon has a strong commitment to ensuring access to our program to students of limited economic mean. That's why, our University also offers tuition waivers for international students who demonstrate financial need and academic excellence. How to Apply : please submit your application via the website or the paper application form. Applications must include transcripts, letters of recommendation, financial documentation and any other items you believe may enhance your candidacy.Tuition Waiver Application Form
Study Program (60 ECTS)
September to December, in Lyon (Lyon and Maynooth Track)
January to May, in Lyon (Lyon Track)
January to May, in Maynooth (Maynooth Track)
September to March, in London (London Track)
Trimester 1 & 2
- LLM (Masters of Law) - no specialisation
- LLM in Public International Law - Specialisation
- LLM in Porfessional Advocacy - specialisation
- LLM in Maritime Law - specialisation
- LLM in International Human Rights - specialisation
- LLM in International Energy Law and Regulation - specialisation
- LLM in International Economic Law - specialisation
- LLM in International Commercial Law - specialisation
- LLM in International Banking and Finance - specialisation
- LLM in European Union Law - specialisation
- LLM in European Commercial Law - specialisation
- LLM in Dispute Resolution - specialisation
- LLM in Criminal Litigation - specialisation
- LLM in Civil Litigation and Dispute Resolution - specialisation
“The LLM in International Business Law (dual degree) was a wonderful opportunity not only to receive a dual qualification but also to experience the wonders of studying abroad. Studying abroad opened my mind and allowed me to mature and grow as a person, and intellectually. I did not have a strong base in the French language, but this was not a problem, as the lectures were in English, and classes in French of all levels were provided by the University. Rent was extremely reasonable in Lyon and the French Government provide rent assistance to all students studying in France. This LLM not only prepares you on an intellectual level, but also allows you to travel and experience different cultures, and have fun at the same time.” - Emer Shannon
“Le choix du bon programme est une décision très importante. Voici quelques raison pour lesquelles j’ai choisi ce double programme LL.M/ Master 1
• quand on est à la recherche d’un travail ou d’un stage, on peut voir dans 90% des cas que les recruteurs cherchent des personnes avec un profil international, un très bon niveau d’anglais et notamment un LL.M.
• Ce programme allie un master 1 français ainsi qu’un LL.M, tous les deux en droit des affaires internationales. C’est le seul programme de ce type en France.
• L’Irlande est un pays magnifique mais aussi une puissance économique qui se démarque en Europe puisque de nombreuses multinationales ont leurs sièges là-bas.
• Le département de droit offre une grande diversité dans ses cours, dispensés par des docteurs en droit mais aussi des avocats provenant des plus grands cabinets anglo saxons.
• l’administration et les professeurs répondent toujours présents et vite en cas de soucis.
• il y a une grande diversité d’activités à faire sur le campus et les Irlandais sont bien connus pour leur gentillesse.
Donc n’hésitez pas à prendre cette opportunity! En tant qu’étudiante française, ce programme m’a ouvert les portes des masters 2 les plus sélectifs en France.”
- Year of highschool graduation
- Bac + 4
Director of studies
Louis-Daniel Muka Tshibende
Registrar office contact details
In partnership with
What our alumni say
"(...) Aside from the
academic qualities of this program, what I enjoyed most was the camaraderie
with fellow classmates coming from almost all parts of the world and helpful academic staff (...)"
Bekir Bugra Aydin