The origin of the Place Carnot Campus
A few years later, in 1875, Louis-Gabriel Bissuel de Saint-Victor, a former member of parliament, joined around thirty local lay people to found a Catholic University. Its first faculty devoted to law opened near Place Bellecour, a stone's throw away from the barracks.This is the origin of the current Catholic University of Lyon whose second campus has been built on the site of the barracks since September 2005. The architect and the deputy belonged to the same family. Thus, from the beginning, the two establishments were already singularly linked by the name and the goodwill of their founders.
A modern building of 14,000 m2 on five floors
The Carnot campus houses:
• The Faculty of Philosophy, Pyschology and Education (Department of Philosophy, Department of Psychology, Department of Education, UNIVA and CEPEC)
• The Faculty of Literature and Languages (Department of French Literature, ESTRI, UCLy Cambridge Examination Centre, UCLy Tourism School and ILCF)
• An information resource centre and several research laboratories
• The Faculty of Theology and Religious Sciences (Department of Theology and IPER)
• A university library
• 7 amphitheatres (up to 340 seats)
• 41 classrooms, 2 language labs, 1 exam room with 100 seats, a cafeteria and student facilities .