Ukraine - Arrival and registration

Residence permit and its rights

Residence permit

People arriving from Ukraine will obtain a temporary protection under conditions fixed by the European Council.

To obtain the temporary protection, you have to file an application at the Prefecture of the French department you are living in. If you are living in Lyon/in the Rhône department, you have to go to:  

Forum Réfugiés
326 rue Garidaldi, 69007 Lyon

Monday: 1:30pm - 5:30pm
Tuesday: 8:30am - 5h30pm
Wednesday: 8:30am - 12:30pm
Thursday: 8:30am - 5:30pm
Friday: 8:30am - 12:30pm

For more info, you can send a mail to:

If your application is complete at the Prefecture, you will obtain a temporary residence permit (Attestation Provisoire de Séjour) mentioning “Beneficiary of the temporary protection”. This document lasts 6 months and is renewable.

Caution: All measures listed below are only intended to beneficiaries of the temporary protection. People who do not have this status cannot apply.

Financial support

In case of financial difficulties, you can contact the social worker from UCLy:

Through a simplified procedure, students under temporary protection could ask for an emergency support from the CROUS. Extra support remain under respecting the current legislation.

Students under temporary protection can also benefit from grants based on social ground and under conditions.

A meal at a university restaurant will costs 1€ for these students.

Social protection and health coverage

After obtaining the temporary protection, you will have access to health care services such as the universal health cover “PUMA” (Protection Universelle Maladie) and the health insurance coverage “CSS” (Complémentaire Santé Solidaire).

N.b: Ukrainian students living in France will see their rights to PUMA automatically extended, even if their visa/resident permit expired. Contact the Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie (CPAM) to extend your rights to the PUMA.

Housing and accomodation

With a registration at a French higher education establishment, students who obtained the temporary protection could benefit from a room in a CROUS (public residency for students) until September 2022 – if available places.

For more information, please contact the Accommodation Office at UCLy by writing a mail to:

French Prefectures also develop a website to put through individual/organizations and people arriving from Ukraine looking for an accommodation. More information on:

Students under temporary protection can also apply for a housing benefit (APL - Aide Personnalisée au Logement) from the CAF, a financial support to help you pay your rent. Click here to know more about the procedure.

Psychological support

UCLy offers a psychological support through its Health Department – Pôle Santé  

Students can make an appointment with Dr VALLIN, Mrs MAYOUD (clinical psychologist) and a social worker.

Contacts :
Health Department/Pôle Santé – Mrs FAYOLLE :



Social worker :

English speakers can also benefit from a medical and psychological support in English with more than 160 psychologists from the psychological and medical system for students dispositif Santé Psy Etudiant.

Orientation and registration at UCLy

If you want to register at UCLy, please contact directly the chosen Faculty. You will find all contacts on their webpages and websites.

To find a formation, please click here.


Campus France - EN :

Frequently asked questions - Campus France - EN:

Minister of the Interior:

Ministry of Higher Education and Research: Circulaire du 22 Mars 2022